Missy eLLe Rants

where the world don't matter

18.9.09

Tale of Two Brothers - Mubarak and Ramadhan

Posted by Missy eLLe |

When it comes to this topic, it's typical for some people to write about their favourite Eid Mubarak experience and dishes - the lemang, rendang, ketupat, khuzzi and bread (for Kelantanese), Kerutuk (Kelantan dish also), dodol etc. You name it - every homecooked, sentimental dish is always mentioned, very typical of us Malaysians to let our lives revolve around food. Mana tak gemuk (self note)?


Not to mention, it is also very typical for some people to pen down how much they miss their childhood Eid Mubaraks - the bunga api, mercun, mercun buluh, pelita, main masak-masak, galah panjang, duit raya etc. Some would indulge in memories of those luxuries that once, used to entice us kids, everytime we balik kampung.

Just like any Malaysian, my Raya in the past had been very typical. Technically as the years pass by there's nothing new. The tradition has lived on, just like it was in the past.

Signs of old age on my grandma, aunties and uncles, however, are new. Cousins growing up, having their own careers are new. Younger cousins getting married are also new (yeah, sudah langkah gua punya bendul!). Cousins breeding more younglings are new. Grandma's house getting more crowded every year, is new. As for myself, having to give instead of receiving some duit raya in these past few years, is somewhat new.

Otherwise, life hasn't changed much - that same familiar warm feeling whenever my family and I balik kampung is still there. Since I am going back tomorrow, I would be expecting the same scrumptuous rendang made especially by the famous chef in our house, my aunt, and grandma. The same lemang and dodol that takes hours to make by my industrious uncles behind my grandma's house - you know, at the "pondok kenduri" outside. The same gossip, usik-mengusik, soklan cepumas - bila nak kahwin will be made.

Yet each year, I look forward to this moment.

What is new for me this year is, feeling amiss of Ramadhan. Nothing beats the solace, peacefulness and blessed feelings it brings by its mere presence. Even more grateful I am for is Ramadhan has changed me so much. It has taught me the meaning of patience, preserverance, abstinence and love. It has shown me answers to many unanswered questions. I hope to see those revelations coming true soon, Insya Allah. To some degree, I hope I have changed some of my habits during Ramadhan, for the better of course, and will remain to do so until after that.

To those who sought Lailatul Qadr, I hope you've found it. May all your prayers and wishes come true, Insya Allah.

Hopefully, spiritually and mentally, Ramadhan has embodied us all, and not left us in vain.

Amiin. We'll miss you Ramadhan, I really hope and pray to see you again next year. But at Allah's will, we'll have to make way for Mubarak for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe